Some lesser known features and hidden treasures of the NUI Galway campus.
This week’s post is dedicated to some lesser known features and hidden treasures of the NUI Galway campus.
James Mitchell Museum
‘Galway’s Hidden Museum‘ is located on the first floor of the south-east corner of the Quadrangle. The museum, named after Professor James Mitchell, Chair of Geology 1921-1966, houses rocks, minerals and fossils, collected from the foundation of the college back in the 1840s to the present day.
Royal Coat Of Arms
A Royal Coat of Arms carving, featuring the lion and unicorn on either side of the great shield, is situated behind the Quadrangle. The carving was originally installed above the portico of the Galway Courthouse, when Ireland was part of the United Kingdom, but was removed for safe keeping during the Irish War of Independence (1919-21).
Marine and Zoology Museum
The Zoology and Marine Biology Museum, or ‘Dead Zoo’ is located in the Ryan Institute…
View original post 217 more words